Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A challenge.

In the past 5 days or so, the topic of service has been brought up in my life multiple times.

There was the seminary lesson where we learned about angels, the church lesson where we learned about charity (though I'm not saying this is a synonym for service, because it's not), and last night at a fireside we learned about angels once again.

I think that maybe all of this emphasis on love and service was for me, and something I really needed to hear...

You see, with this last month of high school, I've been lazy. I'm taking no hard classes, did my one ap test, and now I just feel done. Many of you probably know the feeling. If not, I guarantee you will at some point. I've got a bad case of Senioritis. I get home from school and I take a nap (confession: Monday, I took 2), then wake up, eat dinner, waste time online, and go to bed again.

But I realized something - I can use all this extra time I have to do something. I've been given this last month of high school to help others, not to be selfish and do nothing.

Maybe, if I let the Lord guide me, I'll end up finding someone who needs a good talk. I shouldn't waste all my lunch period in the same place as always - I should wander around and let the steps take me where they will.

So today my goal is to find one person in need of service. Just one. It may be someone I know, and it may be a complete stranger. Either way, I'm not going to hesitate to help them. I'm not going to ask questions, second guess myself, or be crippled by fear and intimidation.

Then tomorrow, I'm going to find two people.

The next day, three.

And so on until I lose count and this impulsive and in-tune service becomes habit.

If I may, I'd like to challenge all of you to do the same. Next time you're bored, or have some spare time, go serve.


And let me know how it goes. Personally, I'm fully expecting an increase of happiness in my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay! I love this :)